We offer a number of BCU training and assessment courses across the UK, US and Europe. Please visit our Events page to see when classes you can join in on might be running. These programmes are also available on demand for groups of friends and clubs so get in touch to discuss dates. Here is one such course we provide - 5 Star Sea Training.
Description: This two-day training course will cover the necessary elements of leadership, group safety and seamanship skills, as well as developing personal performance as set out in the BCU 5 Star Sea syllabus. This award is intended for paddlers who journey and lead others on the sea in areas where tidal races, headlands, open crossings, swell and challenging coastlines will be encountered. Completion of the training course will lead to a personalised action plan in preparation for the BCU 5 Star assessment. The course will cover:
Personal Paddling Skills
• Launching and landing
• Efficient forward paddling
• Effective manoeuvring and boat control
• Navigation on the water and in poor visibility
• A range of self-rescues
• Rolling in rough water
• Application of appropriate rescue skills
• Different towing methods
Safety, Leadership and Group Skills
• Application of leadership principles
• Leadership strategies, judgement and decision making
• Safety awareness and risk management
• Group control and management tactics
• Paddler welfare and community building
• Incident management
• Safety (includes coastguard and rescue services)
• Hypothermia/ First aid
• Group awareness and management
• General (and historical)
• Leadership responsibilities
• Water features/hazards
Prerequisites: BCU 4 Star Award or the 'old' Level 3 Sea Award.
BCU Information: For syllabus details, visit the BCU website.
Contact: For more information, course fees or to register, e-mail: email@example.com.